Academic Affairs

We are the home for studying the natural word. CALS offers 23 undergraduate majors and more than 24 graduate programs in biological sciences, health sciences, environmental science, social science and agricultural science. Many CALS undergraduate students continue their education in graduate school or enter professional schools in medicine or veterinary medicine. Others pursue careers in biotechnology, conservation and recreation, communications, agriculture, human nutrition, animal health or public service.

The Office of Academic Affairs, in 116 Ag Hall, helps undergraduate students navigate the possibilities and opportunities in CALS. It is our goal to help students be academically and personally successful on campus and beyond. Academic Affairs offers advising, professional development, and other services to enhance the overall experience of students at UW-Madison. We hope our students will visit us often and take advantage of our trainings and seminars.

The Office of Academic Affairs is the Academic Deans Office for all CALS undergraduate students. Contact us at

Any CALS student needing assistance is welcome to meet with a Dean On Call.

Dean on Call
Tuesdays and Fridays
1:00-3:00 pm- in-person, virtual, or phone
Make an appointment here: Dean on Call form (walk-ins welcome)

Common topics to discuss include credit overload requests, concurrent enrollment requests, late course adds or drops, late withdrawals, changing majors after 85 credits, and other personal and academic issues. Students are often referred to Dean on Call by their advisor.

Please contact the Office of Academic Affairs with questions big or small at